Meet Mark H. Hyman, MD, FACP, FIAIME
Mark H. Hyman, MD, FACP, FIAIME is an internist with more than 30 years of experience and head of the HymanHealth primary care medical practice located in the Westside of Los Angeles, California
More about Dr. Mark Hyman
Born Detroit, Michigan. Married, 4 sons.
Education and Postgraduate Training
1976-80 University of Michigan, BS. Cellular and Molecular Biology
1980-84 UCLA School of Medicine, M.D.
1984-87 UCLA CHS Internship and Residency in General Internal Medicine
1987-88 UCLA/Cedars-Sinai Kennamer Fellow in General Internal Medicine
Workshop leader for IEA Annual Awards Luncheon-five locations
Catholic Healthcare West Annual Meeting “ Disability Management and Your Medical Provider”
2004 Workshop leader for IEA Annual Awards Luncheon-five locations
Athens Admin, “Stress and Return to Work”
Lecture, Bradford & Barthel, “Causation in Internal Medicine”
Lecture, Law Offices of Sef Krell, “Deposing the Doctor”
Lecture, Bredfelt, Odukoya & Saurez, “Deposing the Doctor”
Lecture, Pollard Mavredakis Cranert Crawford, “Evaluating Activities of Daily Living”
Lecture, Law Offices of Malmquist, Fields & Camastra, “Deposing the Doctor”
- Internal Medicine
- Federal Aviation Administration Senior Examiner
- Through 2003-UCLA Santa Monica, Cedars-Sinai
- Current Providence St. John’s Hospital
- 1976 Electrochemical reduction of thymine in dimethyl-sulfoxide
- 1981 Evaluation of a physical screening program for the elderly
- 1986 Health care in Afghanistan with Robert R. Simon, M.D.
- 1991 Tuberous Sclerosis Complex
- 1994 PACT Study for treatment of Migraine Headaches
- 1996-2000 Police department arrest procedures
6/24/85 Diplomate, National Board of Medical Examiners, #288780
9/16/87 Diplomate, American Board of Internal Medicine, #112858
Current State of California Medical License, #G55008
Current certification, State of California, Qualified Medical Examiner
1/1/95 Certified, VAX-D Therapy
12/31/95 Certified Education Provider-California Board of Registered
12/16/95 Certified Education Provider-Commission for Case Manager
11/9/96 Certified, American Board of Independent Medical Examiners, #96-00580
1/13/97 Certified, MedX Therapy
9/12/97 Credentialled, McKenzie Mechanical Diagnosis and Therapy
2004 WCCP-Worker Compensation Claim Professional
2010 Senior Aviation Medical Examiner Designation License #0364
As “Chief Health Advisor” to his executive, family, retiree, entertainer, pilot and professional athlete patients, Dr. Hyman provides medical care and wellness counsel to a wide variety of individuals. In 2009, WebMD selected Dr. Hyman for its annual “Health Heroes” award. Dr. Hyman is known for his continuous pursuit of the latest technology in medicine to improve preventive care and wellness for his patients. He has a passion for sports – and is a physician to both players and retired athletes. In addition, he served as a medical advisor to the Los Angeles Police Department.
Dr. Hyman served for 30 years on the clinical faculty at the University of California – Los Angeles (UCLA). He was born in Detroit and attended The University of Michigan for undergraduate studies. He pursued medical school, internship, residency and fellowship at UCLA. In addition, Dr. Hyman is a highly sought-after lecturer on various internal medicine topics and writes prodigiously. Much of his work can be found in prestigious peer-reviewed journals and books for organizations such as the American Medical Association (AMA).
He has applied his healthcare expertise and leadership on a global basis, including speaking at international conferences such as Health Care in Afghanistan and Fundacion Argentina De Estudio Del Cerebro in Buenos Aires.
Over the years, Dr. Hyman has been an active member of the AMA, American College of Physicians and the American College of Environmental and Occupational Medicine. His FACP designation acknowledges that he is a fellow of the American College of Physicians and has served on the organization’s Governor’s Advisory Council. His FIAIME designation recognizes that he is a Fellow of the International Academy of Independent Medical Evaluators. He was the chairman and president for the National Board of Directors of IAIME. Dr. Hyman has testified before the United States Congress as a national expert on disability issues.
His recent internal medicine research and interests include headaches, smoking cessation, spinal disorders, police arrest techniques, Tuberous Sclerosis Complex, impairment and workers’ compensation issues. This year, he is publishing research on workers compensation patients related to sleep disorders, addictions, capsule endoscopy and digital retinal examinations.
Dr. Hyman is actively involved in the community. He has served as a volunteer physician for Venice Family Clinic and Flying Samaritans. His other leadership positions have included: Board Member-Jewish Family Services of Santa Monica; Chairman, Tuberous Sclerosis Association Endowment Fund; Board Member, Comedy for a Cure; and, most recently, Board of Directors, YULA High School. His contributions to the Police Department earned him a Certificate of Appreciation from the City of Los Angeles. As a recognized expert in the internal medicine world, Dr. Hyman has been interviewed by the media on numerous occasions for topics such as smoking cessation and VAX-D Therapy.
As a highly respected and knowledgeable internist, Dr. Hyman frequently teaches at leading medical organizations and lectures at various symposiums, conferences and other events. He publishes his research projects and insights in both prestigious peer-reviewed journals and the lay press. He is also asked to author numerous books for a wide variety of medical, legal and insurance organizations. He brings this latest research and analysis of the medical world to his patients, who benefit from his continuous pursuit of advanced medical technologies, protocols and techniques.
Dr. Hyman has lectured on topics such as:
- Smoking Cessation
- Diagnosis and Treatment of Headaches
- Nutrition, Diet and Exercise
- Sleep Disorders
- Death and Dying
- Jewish Medical Ethics
- Establishing a Doctor-Patient Relationship
- AMA Guides
- Physician-assisted Suicide
- Treatment of Low Back Pain
- Myofascial Pain and Fibromyalgia
- Approaches to Alternative and Complementary Medicine
- Psychometric Questionnaires
- Stress and Medicine
- And a host of other internal medicine topics
Dr. Hyman has been published in a variety of publications from local papers to renowned
peer-reviewed journals such as the Annals of Internal Medicine, the Journal of the American Medical Association, the Archives of Neurology, the American Family Physician, and the Journal of Occupational Environmental Medicine.
The topics include:
- New hope for back pain
- Pertussis vaccination
- Outcome Measurement Tools
- Spinal disorders: Tools to address diagnostic and treatment problems
- Percutaneous electrical nerve stimulation for treatment of low back pain
- Tuberous sclerosis complex
- Medical advice for commercial air travelers
- Treatment of Heroin Dependence
- Statin-associated myopathy with normal creatinine kinase levels.
- T-cell reactions to drugs
- Short-term exposure to urban dust.
- Left Ventricular Hypertrophy Regression and Atrial Fibrillation
Dr. Hyman has published many articles and is a chapter author for the American Medical Association books including:
- A Physician’s Guide to Return to Work
- Guides to Disease and Injury Causation
- Guides to Functional Capacity Evaluations
- Guides Transition Book
- Contributing Editor for the AMA Guides 6th Edition
- Board member for the Guides Newsletter
- Reviewer for the Guides Casebook Third edition
- Chair for the Internal Medicine section of the Medical Disability Advisor